Monday, June 06, 2005

Someone's Junk is Someone Else's Treasure!

Due to our crappy and unpredictable weather, Steve backed out on our hiking trip this weekend. Miserable wanker. Last minute cancellation when I was really looking forward to getting pissed with him. Its coz I'm only "allowed" to get pissed when Steve's there. But not willing to let my weekend go to waste, we invited two other friends of mine to dinner and I managed to get pissed with them :) . It was their first visit to our house, and I was quite shocked to see that they thought that my house was gorgeous. Here I was, fed up with my house, shifting out to a "nicer" place, and these guys adore my place. "Well!", I said, "If you love it so much, you shift into it." I was a bit taken aback when they agreed and next thing I knew, I was talking to my landlord and taking credit for looking EVERYWHERE and finding a few friends of mine who were WILLING to move in as soon as I moved out. Well this put me in his good books and he wasn't so grumpy to me anymore. He was really pissed off that I suddenly decided to up and leave, that too, during summer when there was no one around looking for houses. But now, he's thrilled and can't wait for me to get out.
Anyway, the title of this post is linked to our Sunday trip to Morecambe. We've never been to a Car Boot Sale and we've always wanted to go and check it out. And its quite literally a Car Boot Sale. They have this big field where all these cars and vans are parked and people display their junk in their boot or on tables next to their cars. We were quite flabbergasted at the range of goods that people throw out. There were baby clothes, stuffed toys, shoes, CDs, LP disks, golf clubs, cutlery, furniture, tools, lingerie (???!!!), eggs(??), a car!!, fishing rods, rackets...name it they had it. And all for peanuts. Personally I was quite suspicious of everything, asking " What's wrong with it?". As if they'd confess and say that there was an ancient family curse on the flower vase. We managed to pick up a few things at dirt prices. Some of the stuff that people get rid off were quite nice. Being the first trip to a car boot sale, we didn't know if haggling was allowed. What do you say? No, no, not 1 pound. 50p. Nothing more than 50p. I mean. Jesus. How do you haggle for 50p? Apparently Ani's sister is quite a garage sale addict and her house is littered with other people's junk. Legend has it that she haggled for a 2 pound item and brought it down to 25 cents. Quality haggling. Next time. I'll haggle better.

1 Comments:

At June 07, 2005 4:45 am, Blogger Calvin said...

girls can haggle. period. lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home