Friday, March 11, 2005

Outta left field!!!

Here I was bitching about work when today, out of the blue, my Technical Director resigned. I mean, he was the founder of this company, the guy whose patented products put TISS on the security map. The guy who would have been a millionaire if he just hung on for one more year. Tres bizarre!!!

Its only when I dug deeper that I found out that his wife of 20 years had died two weeks ago. Not that they were awfully in love with each other. In fact, they've been separated for the past two years. Apparently she became an alcholhic after he left her, and she drunk herself to death. His whole life has been all about work. He worked non stop and never took a day off. He never took a holiday. He's owed like almost a 5 years of holidays. Thats a hell of a lot of annual leave that he hasn't taken. He was saying today that his wife's death has made him suddenly realise that he's not getting any younger and its time he retired and enjoyed life a bit before its too late for him.

It really made me sit up and think. We study really hard all our life to get a good job. Once we get a good job, we work our butts off to get an even better job. Then we work and work and let life just pass us by. I've tried thinking back and tried to remember any special day that I've had recently. The only thing I can remember is Valentine's day. But apart from that, my life seems to have just slipped by.

What is the purpose of life? What are we meant to do? Are we all put here just to work, eat and sleep? What do we accomplish? How do we measure our own successes?

I dunno. Do you think I'm becoming jaded and cynical?

1 Comments:

At March 13, 2005 3:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Dude you are just stating facts.

You are building someone else's dream at a Job.

Ashish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home