Friday, April 01, 2005

Mission Impossible Accomplished

The past week has really tested me. Hanging out with Ani's sister and cousin was an experience that I won't forget in a hurry. Don't get me wrong, they are really nice people. Dixi is a really 'paawam' girl (can't think of an adequate adjective in English). Mittu is quiet and innocent. But last week my opinion was completely different. I thought Dixi was cunning and manipulative and Mittu was difficult and morose. It made me think about first impressions again. Its only after a week that both of them actually warmed up to me and started being friendly. Or it was probably me. I had a preconceived notion that they were both out to bust me and maybe I was not being friendly enough. Somehow I prefer putting the blame on them. I'm adorable and perfect. I was so stressed out and upset that they didn't like me. But once they opened up, things were much better. There were more laughs and less of the uncomfortable silence. I think the point when you've established a friendship is when two people can comfortably sit in silence together without your mind whizzing around trying to find another opening line after the previous one went dead into the water. I mean, free and a never endless conversation is ideal but as long as the silence is peaceful, that's fine too.

That's when I started thinking that people are so different. I expected them to be open and talkative like I am. If first impressions are so important, how do introverts make a good first impression if they do not communicate? This made me try to look up the differences between introverts and extroverts here.

Reading Jung's theory, it sounds like Jung was an extrovert. I mean, come on, introverts sound so negative. If you dig around on this topic, every site is written by either an extrovert or an introvert painting the other personality type negatively. How does one become an extrovert or an introvert. My first thoughts were that it depends on how you were brought up. If your parents are extroverts, chances are that you'll become an extrovert. But then, I know people whose parents are introverts but the kids are wild. Well, all this thinking got me tired, so I haven't thought any more. But it is interesting.

Well at least the whole trip went off without a hitch and the cat is still securely in the bag. It was such a relief to sleep in my own bed last night after two weeks of sleeping on the bleeding floor. To make my sleep extra special, I'd received my new duck feather pillow last night and oh was that nice.



sources: http://www.socionics.com/main/types.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home