Saturday, April 09, 2005

The CV Show

After my first failed attempt to get to Birmingham for the CV Show, I tried again on Thursday. This time I braved the M6 with one of my colleagues. Amazingly, we managed to get to the National Exhibition Centre without facing any major road blockages or traffic jams.

This was my first time at the NEC and it really took my breath away. Its massive. Standing there, it just occupied my entire visual horizon. The NEC has a ground floor space of 2 million square feet. That's almost around 25 full sized foot ball pitches (real football...Not the American trash variety).


Our stall was in Hall 18. I was looking forward to doing some hard selling and bullshitting clients. According to Steve Fowler, I have a PhD in Bullshitting and I was keen to get some more practical experience. However, my boss had other plans for me. He took my bullshitting to the next level. He wanted me to go undercover. To do "industrial espionage" (as I like to call it). So I got rid of anything associating me with my company and plunged into the mayhem of corporate stalls in the quest to pick other companies' brains. I went to each of our competitors and pretended to be a potential customer with a small fleet of trailers and trucks. All that drama in KGP came really handy.

God, I'm a good actor, if I do say so myself. The mock surprise and intrigue at their "new" technology. The artificial joy at seeing a dinky little tracking device destined to "protect" my "trailers". The obvious difficulty in grasping all the big technical terms being spewed out of the sales man because of being a simple "haulier". The dummy truck driver role was played out to competitors who I knew weren't as good as us but I just wanted to mess with them and waste their valuable time when they could have been selling to real customers. My favored role was one that was not so far from home. I was an IT Manager for a logistics company and I was sick and fed up of the techno phobic bosses coming and sourcing tracking products. I was the implementer of all these new fangled projects and I needed to decide which product to buy. This role was played in front of our keen competitors. I needed to know how much their products costed and all the nitty gritties of how they worked. So the bumbling fools fell for it and revealed a lot more about their product than they would have to a normal trucker.

What I couldn't understand was the way they distributed the stalls. One would have assumed that all similar products would have been in nearby halls. However, they went and shuffled everyone all over the place. So I ended up walking from Hall 18 to Hall 1 to Hall 12 to Hall 9 to Hall 4 and then back to home base.

All in all, a good days work. Then came the entertainment. The CV show is second to the auto show when it comes to the number of babes on display. Its at times like this that I regret not having bought a better camera phone. The number of women wearing virtually nothing was unbelievable. One of my colleagues took a few pics and I've put them up on the photos page. Well, I shall not drool over them lest Ani gives me a good hiding. The trucks were awesome too.

Can't wait for the next auto show.

1 Comments:

At April 10, 2005 1:55 am, Blogger Abbi said...

Thanx George.U might be the first person to visit my blog whom i havnt told abt it.So how's life going? Didn't heard from u for a long time.Scraped u once or twice on orkut but u didnt replied.I thougth u might have forgotten us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home