Monday, April 04, 2005

Inner conflict

I'm looking for some advice.... I'm faced with two options and I'd like some input.

OPTION 1:

I'm currently working for a small company. It's not growing or expanding. However, the product lines are increasing and the growth potential is there....Potential customers who are big blue chip companies are trialling some of the new products....The top management says that by November, sales would boom.... We already have lots of clients and profits are slowly rising. Now my role as an IT Manager is constantly evolving. I'm primarily client facing now and deal on a personal level with Security Directors and Operations teams of the clients. I'm learning a lot...But its not a structured learning program. I've been thrown into the deep end all the time. However, all that I'm learning is industry related and product related and I'm not learning anything about best practices, new processes, new techniques, proper ways to do things. It's all a sort of 'get-your-hands-dirty-and-learn-from-your-errors' style...

Plus...The pay ain't that great. It's enough but I could get more in a bigger company. But the carrot that they are dangling in front of me is the 'Virtual' shares that they have offered. They keep giving me these shares which have no real value now. I have to stay with the company till they sell out to a bigger company. When they sell the company, the amount of money that I get from these shares would be massive.....In fact...More money than what I would have earned if I was in a bigger company. This projected sale could happen anytime between next year and three years later. I'm not stupid, I can see that they are doing this to keep on staff. But do i stay with these guys till they sell out or risk stagnating and getting bored??

The other side is that Ani's job contract is for 3 years. So technically we can stay here for a total of 2 more years.

OPTION 2:

I look for another job in a bigger company offering higher pay and a more structured approach to my career progression. I'd get more certifications and qualifications and get better trained. But then the problem is where do I apply. Coz if I get a job in a particular city, would Ani get a job in the same city? Do we apply together for jobs at the same time or does one of us wait and see where the other got a job and then apply in the same area. What are the chances of getting a job that both of us are happy with, in the same city.... Do I sacrifice the windfall amount of money, that I might get if I hang around with my present job, for a bigger company? A small company offers more freedom and less job monotony unlike a bigger company.

SO, in summary, Where do I get more valuable work experience? Where do I learn more? Where will I make more money? What the HELL do I do???

3 Comments:

At April 04, 2005 4:51 pm, Blogger Calvin said...

dude, my personal feeling is that if the companyis stable, and you're still learning stuff.. then hang in there. simply because since you're learning the hard way, you're better off making mistakes here than in a bigger firm. besides, experience is a much better way to learn than training, i feel.

especially since ani is in a job which she is liking, and is set in too.. hang in there for at least one more year, which leaves you one year to look for a better job, plus you can state the "2 yrs. work experience", which definitely looks better than "1 yr. work experience".

of course, if the sales do boom in November, then you'll still be perfectly placed. for now stay stable, put some money down for the wedding trip and all, and enjoy the last few months of bachelorhood! ;-)

 
At April 09, 2005 3:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

couple of universal truths to help u on ur way..money is not everything..and any amount of money is never enough..family is everything..beig together with family is imp..as for job, u;ve got to work for another 4 years man..use these initial years to learn the ropes of the business..if sticking around gives u the opportunity to really learn more and more probably, all other factors remaining same, u should stay..and when u want a change, do u want a change of job or function? change of job but not function because of money and a general sense of uneasiness is a shaky decision... if u want to change function, then do it as soon as u can.. earlier the better.. and as for ani's gettng a job, better for one person to apply and fix co-od's first..and dont know how it is there but here atleast if u move to a large city then prob of both getting job together strong..and finally, being together entails compromises..and deciding priorities.. u decide those..and u dont look to others to make choices for u..look to others for directions..and then take one..all the best dude.. MPK..

 
At April 09, 2005 3:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where 4 comes i meant FORTY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home