Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Doh!

The UK railway system is famous for its consistent unreliability. Then, why pray tell, did I opt for traveling by train all the way to Birmingham for the Commercial Vehicle Show 2005 being held at the NEC. Coz, the only other option was to go by car on the horrendous M6. And let me tell you, the M6 towards Birmingham is something I PAY to avoid if I'm every going south to London. I pay 6 pounds on the M6 toll, just to avoid going via Birmingham. The only way someone can make me drive on the M6 to Birmingham is if they ask me to do it around midnight. Anyway, as usual I digress.

This morning I realized that my suit jacket was still at the dry cleaners. We went at 8.30 to the dry cleaners hoping and praying that they open early. Luckily, they were open and I managed to get my jacket and I rushed off to the station. Got my tickets and ran to the platform in the hope that I hadn't missed my train. Thankfully the train was still there on Platform 4 and I slowed to catch my breath. Coming closer, I realized that it wasn't my train but it was the 8.20 train to Liverpool. What the ...? Checked my watch to make sure I'd changed my watch to British Summer Time. Then came the announcement over the PA system. Have you ever wondered why they don't get better speakers in a train station? I can never understand what they are saying coz everything always sounds really muffled. Well after he repeated it around 3 times, I got the general gist of it. " Due to a power failure on the railway grid, all trains traveling South of Lancaster have been cancelled until further notice. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience caused to passengers".

What??!!! Shit!! I've got to get there for 11.30 and I'd given myself a half an hour gap for contingencies like this. Normally they are delayed. Not bloody CANCELLED. So after hanging around in the station lounge for an hour, reading Virgin train brochures claiming how punctual they are, I hear another garbled announcement. "All passengers intending to travel south of Lancaster, please make your way to Platform 3". Fine, Platform 3 it is, which just happens to be on the other side of the station, but I'm not complaining. Got to Platform 3 and realized that every train entering Lancaster from the north was cleared out and that resulted in a mob waiting on Platform 3. After waiting on Platform 3 for another 15 minutes, they announce " Alternative arrangements have been made for all passengers traveling south. Coaches are waiting outside to take you to Preston." .... So? What do I do when I get to Preston? I asked one of the railway employees about my options when I get to Preston and he said that no trains were leaving Preston either. So what the hell are they taking us to Preston on coach for? So that we can wait there forever?? I just checked the online status of the trains and they are still cancelled.

I really couldn't have been arsed to change trains a million times. I called up my boss and told him what happened and told him that I'd come tomorrow instead. Thankfully, they hadn't scheduled any client demonstrations for me today. So I cancelled the ticket and made Ani come and pick me up.

Here I am back at work, dreading traveling on the M6 tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home